Choosing the right rifle scope can be a challenge especially if it is your first time buying. You may be a hunter or you are someone who simply wants something to shoot targets. The thing is, you still need to make the best choice out of all the available options.
You need to figure out what you would need a scope for. You also need to figure out what features you would like the scope to have. Remember that a lot of the scopes that you will see will seem perfect. You need to exert more effort into learning more about each scope so that you can make the best choice.
Consider the Magnification of the Rifle Scope
You may get confused when you are checking out the magnification of the rifle scopes. You will see that there are two numbers. How will you know which one you should consider? Those that are on the left side of the “x” will represent how much bigger the target will be when checked through the scope.
The number on the right side will show the diameter of the objective lens. If you are wondering what the objective lens is, this is the one that you will find on the outer portion of the barrel. Based on the numbers that will be given, you can choose the right rifle scope for your needs.
Different Types of Scopes
What makes everything more confusing when choosing the right scope is there are so many that are available. You can choose from the following:
- Fixed Scope – This is going to be the most ideal if you want something cost-effective and will provide a lot of range.
- Variable Scope – This is one of the most popular scope options. You can use this ideally when you want the best magnification for the situation you are in. For example, you would use this for hunting. You want to make sure that it will show your target clearly.
- Night Vision Scope – A lot of people who need to move around at night will make this their scope of choice. It may be your choice too. Some night vision scopes will work through infrared lighting. Others can work through thermal imaging. You can choose one depending on what will be more ideal for your present situation.
How Can You Choose a Rifle Scope?
Even with all the details that you have learned, it can still be confusing to just pick out a random rifle scope. You may need more details to help you choose. You need to consider the environment where you are going to use the scope in. For example, you need to choose something that is fog-proof if you are going to use it during wet and cold seasons.
Other things that you can consider are the following:
- The overall construction of the scope – You do not want to get something flimsy. You may end up having to purchase a completely new scope in a short time. This is ideal if you are going to buy a scope in person. Check if there’s wiggling or looseness. If there is any, do not get it.
- Check the Objective Lens Diameter – Some people refer to this as “OLD.” This will determine how much light it will bring in. If you want large objective zoom diameters, you may need to choose scopes with lower magnification and vice versa.
- Eye Relief – Do you know that some scopes can be painful to use? They can cause your eyes to become easily irritated because they may be too heavy. Quality scopes may usually provide some eye relief. You will see and feel the difference.
There may be other features that are important to you. Get to know what these features are and see if the rifle scopes that you want to carry those features.
It is effective to test the scope on your rifle before you purchase it. If this is not possible, make sure that the store you are buying from offers returns. If the scope cannot be mounted on your rifle properly, it will be useless. Remember that the magnification range will always matter. Consider from what range you are shooting from to make the best choice.